Find out through restaurant staff training how job satisfaction is believed to be related to both absence and labour turnover. An employee who is bored or unhappy with the job is much more likely to be repeatedly absent or to leave the job.
RECIPE FOR SUCCESS INGREDIENT CARDS
Ingredient 3: Restaurant Staff Training
Why restaurant staff leave their jobs?
Some businesses have found that they are able to reduce their absence and labour turnover problems by reorganising jobs to provide more satisfaction for employees. This sort of job redesign (or multi-tasking) usually involves giving employees more responsibility, a greater say in how they do their work, more variety and increased opportunities for advancement.
Experience shows that absence rates can be affected by:
Your management presence can have a tremendous impact on how comfortable your employees feel on the job. Are you too abrupt? Are your decisions about staff matters consistent or are you erratic and unpredictable? Are you too lenient? What is the atmosphere like in your business?
Physical working conditions
Are temperatures comfortable to work in? If people have to work in extreme temperatures, do you provide appropriate protection and clothing? Is the working place as clean and well organised as the operations allow? Is there enough space for each worker?
Is the pressure of production unreasonably high? Are there enough rest periods to allow highly pressured workers to relax? Is the pace too slow?
You may need to be more flexible in your arrangements. For example, would some of your staff appreciate a four-day week, or flexible working hours?
The employee may lack interest in the job, or may not need to earn a full salary to meet personal commitments
All of these factors need to be considered carefully and sensitively if you are to uncover the reasons for your absence rates.
Restaurant Staff Training
Want to know more?
For a very low investment, why not purchase a copy of
and find out more why restaurant staff leave their jobs.
For a low investment:
- eGuide: Downloadable easy-to-read – How to Find Your Dream Team eGuide
- eventbrite.com Online Workshop: Restaurant, Cafe, Catering…STAFF MANAGEMENT (1 night).
- eventbrite.com Online Workshop: Restaurant, Cafe, Catering. 16 hours towards business success – for new and existing hospitality owners (8 evenings Tues and Thursday or 4 Saturdays)
- eventbrite.com Free Webinar: Restaurant, Cafe, Catering. 7 steps to business startup success.
- Monthly ‘Recipe for Success’ Newsletter… news, trends, and ideas
- Recipe for Success Ingredient Cards …emails to answer your many questions
- BLOG Article…you may be interested in reading:
- Why staff induction is important?
- and more…