Function and Event Management
For many people, organising a function is an undertaking full of stress and worry. Naturally, as a restaurant owner/caterer, you want to eliminate as much as possible any cause for anxiety on the part of your client. The more relaxed, competent and experienced you appear the more a nervous host/hostess will be reassured.
Below is a Conference Running Sheet Checklist to help you to co-ordinate a successful conference.
Items for checking include:
- Is the room layout as you requested, eg u-shape, theatre style, boardroom?
- Are there enough seats?
- Do you have control over the lights? If so where are they located?
- Are all the rooms available?
- Do you have a speakers’ preparation room, a media room, a committee meeting room?
- Have the conference signs been put in place?
- Are their directional signs to be placed?
- Do the sponsors or the committee have signs to be placed?
- Can the signs be easily seen?
- Does the set up of the registration desk allow enough room for delegates to move with ease?
- Are the walkways and passages between rooms clear of any obstructions?
- Is the equipment for the registration desk set up and working?
- Do you have the required access on your telephone, eg STD or international?
- Do you have a direct phone/fax number on which you can be contacted?
- Do you have a delegate message board in easy view for delegates?
- How can you quickly contact venue staff?
- Do you have the contact numbers of all suppliers and people involved?
- Do all the rooms have the specified audiovisual equipment?
- Have you checked that all equipment is working?
- Is there back up equipment?
- Arrival of supplies
- Has all your material arrived, eg registration materials, final programs, preprints, etc?
- Have the exhibitors’ materials arrived?
- At what hours is access available to the loading docks?
- Where are the materials stored?
- Have you contacted numbers for all suppliers?
- Is the booth construction as per the agreed floor plan?
- Have all the exhibitors arrived?
- Have their materials arrived?
- Are they happy and di they receive what they thought they were getting?
- Does the exhibition area look enticing? Is the area cleared of any rubbish and packing boxes, etc.?
- Is the setup of the desk where an how you had requested?
- Has all the equipment arrived?
- Do you have the registration materials, eg name badges, satchels, publications, registration forms, etc?
- Does the registration area look professional?
- Is it clearly signed and noticeable when people first enter?
- Whilst each conference will be different in its requirements and set up, a thorough pre-opening check must take place.
Function and Event Management
A professional approach, together with consistency, is the key to a successful function. Discover how to gain an advantage over competitors, increase customers and maintain profitability.
Want to know more about function management? For a very low investment why not purchase a copy of:
How to Organise Stress-Free Functions and be able to co-ordinate memorable functions.
‘Free’ Monthly ‘Recipe for Success’ Newsletter
Why not subscribe to A La Carte Training free monthly ‘Recipe for Success’ Newsletter and discover the latest food industry news. Don’t wait! Go to our HOME PAGE and enter your name and email in the newsletter SUBSCRIBE box – it only takes a few minutes!
What our food business owners say…
“Linda has a vast knowledge of restaurant and catering management. Lots of information relevant to my business. I’ll definitely download more of her user-friendly eBooks in the near future.” Vanitha Lang (Kastury’s Indian Cuisine).
“The eGuides are easy-to-follow and certainly boosted my confidence. Linda’s extremely knowledgeable and helpful – I look forward to either attending more workshops and purchasing more eGuides in the future.” Amit Madan (Bella Amici Italian Restaurant). Queensland
“Linda has a world of knowledge and experience. Very informative and easy-to-use eBooks. I have learnt so much.” Shelly Martin (Cakes by Shell).