Adjust food recipes for restaurants & caterers. Learn how to adjust food recipes for restaurants & caterers. Don’t make mistakes when dealing with large numbers.
- Never multiply the quantity of this automatically by the number of times you multiply the recipe.
- Don’t add salt until the last moment the recipe allows after as many other ingredients as possible have been added. Some ingredients such as cheese, anchovies, and tuna make additional salt unnecessary.
- Taste what you are making (even such things as a raw batter) as you add salt a little at a time, some foods taste salty more quickly than others.
- A little salt added to a food that is cooking will have a more noticeable effect than salt added just before serving or eating. During cooking, it has had time to dissolve and penetrate the food.
- The quantity of sugar also shouldn’t be multiplied automatically. A little goes a long way, and too much sugar can hide delicate flavours.
- Egg whites beat better –
- At room temperature
- In small batches of three or four at a time
- If you make sure there is no grease on the bowl or the rubber spatula.
- Hard-boiling –
- Avoid overcooking (grey coating on yolk). Cook for seven or eight minutes (depending on the size of the eggs) from the time when the water has come to a rapid boil. Immediately empty boiling water and run a constant stream of cold water on the eggs until they are cool enough to hold in your hand. Roll each along the counter, breaking the shell, which then easily peels of.
- To whip –
- Chill the bowl and beaters and have the cream cold.
- Whip in small batches.
- Stop the machine frequently to test for soft peaks.
- When adding cream to a hot dish, don’t let the sauce boil or the cream will curdle. Add it at the last minute.
- Make cakes in small batches rather than multiply recipes several times.
- Don’t overbeat the flour once mixed with liquid. Air pockets in cakes get smaller and smaller and the cake gets tougher and denser the more you beat. Add flour by hand rather than an electric mixer.
For more information on how to adjust food recipes for restaurants & caterers and restaurant and catering management training
Why not download copies of our practical How to… eGuides.
Nothing happens unless you make it happen!
RECIPE FOR SUCCESS
WRITE A BUSINESS PLAN
KEEP WITHIN THE LAW
BE FOOD SAFE
DISCOVER YOUR MARKET
EARN MORE DOLLARS WITH CUSTOMER SERVICE
DESIGN A MARKET FOCUSED MENU
FIND YOUR DREAM TEAM
TRAIN IMPRESSIVE WAITSTAFF
PROTECT YOUR FOOD BUSINESS
COOK THE BOOKS
COOK FOR CASH – IDEAS
ORGANISE STRESS-FREE FUNCTIONS
SETUP A PROFITABLE BUFFET
IMPROVE YOUR WINE KNOWLEDGE
CREATE A MEMORABLE WEDDING
Imagine how good it would be if your business is giving you the
money, time and freedom you always wanted!